Whether it’s his impressive filmography, his offscreen candour, his onscreen charisma or his eternal charm – there’s quite no one like Shah Rukh Khan. Bollywood’s king of romance and all other traits perhaps turns 53 and celebrates his birthday today.
While it’s a double treat with the trailer of Zero also releasing today, for his fans, the day remains special no matter what.
On the occasion of 53rd birthday of SRK, here’s looking at 53 facts you should know about him.
1. Shah Rukh Khan, now referred to as Badshah of Bollywood and King Khan, was born on November 2, 1965 in Delhi. But not many people know that soon after his birth, he spent the first five years of life in Mangalore with his maternal grandfather.
2. Back in 2010, Shah Rukh had taken to Twitter and described himself as “half hyderabadi( mom ) half pathan( Dad)some kashmiri (grandmom) born in delhi life in mumbai punjabi wife kolkata team.indian at heart.” Well, truly the king of India!
3. While he is now one of the biggest superstars we have, Shah Rukh’s family led an ordinary middle-class life in rented apartments.
4. The actor has always had a fascination for sports. Even in his school days, SRK used to actively participate in hockey and football and reports suggest that the actor wanted to pursue a career in sports before a shoulder injury in his early years.
5. While millions of fans now imitate him, the actor during his younger days, used to pull off impressive imitations of Indian cinema legends including Dilip Kumar, Amitabh Bachchan and Mumtaz.
6. A student of Eco (H) in Hansraj College, Delhi University, Shah Rukh spent most of his college time immersed in theatre and acting. He later went on to attend National School of Drama and honed his acting skills.
7. Shah Rukh lost his father to cancer in 1981 and his mother passed away 10 years later from a series of complications of diabetes.
8. While for most people it’s Shah Rukh Khan, the actor was first named Abdul Rehman by his maternal grandmother and later it was changed to Shahrukh Khan by his family members.
9.He tied the knot with Gauri Chibber in a traditional Hindi ceremony on October 25, 1991, and the duo are now parents to three adorable children – Aryan, Suhana and AbRam. Aryan was born in 1997, Suhana in 2000 and AbRam in 2013.
10. Having valued all religions equally, Shah Rukh and Gauri have made their kids follow both religions and according to reports, at their home, the Quran is situated next to the Hindu deities.
11. The king of the big screen now, Shah Rukh began his career on the small screen. His television debut, Fauji (1989), revolved around the training of an Indian Army commando regiment.
12. His Bollywood debut was supposed to be Dil Aashna Hai but due to a delay in the film’s release, Deewana is considered to be Shah Rukh’s debut film.
13. Shah Rukh’s first salary was Rs 50 which he had earned at a Pankaj Udhas concert in Delhi.
14. With his first salary, SRK used to take the train to Agra to see the Taj Mahal.
15. One of the most unbelievable things perhaps is that Shah Rukh never eats ice-creams and has a fear of riding horses.
16. Given his superstition for numbers, all the number plates of Shah Rukh’s cars reportedly read 555.
17. Apart from being an actor and producer, Shah Rukh also ran a restaurant in Darya Ganj, Delhi.
18. For his 1994 film Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa, Shah Rukh was paid Rs 25,000.
19. Shah Rukh has played Rahul in over 9 films – Dil Toh Pagal Hai, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham, Chennai Express.
20. He has played Raj in over 6 films including Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman, DDLJ, Chalte Chalte and Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi.
21. Shah Rukh was honoured with the Padma Shri by the Government of India in the year 2005.
22. The Government of France has awarded him both the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres, and its highest civilian honour, the Légion d’honneur.
23. The actor has also been felicitated with honorary degrees from the University of Edinburgh in Scotland because of his acts of philanthropy, altruism, humanitarianism besides his contribution to the Indian cinema.
24. As unbelievable as it may seem, Shah Rukh owns a property on the Moon. According to a report in India Today, one of his fans in Australia buys him a piece of land on the moon from Lunar Republic Society on his birthday every year. Besides this, she has also bought him acres on The Sea of Tranquility.
25. One of his fans in Los Angeles, Paige Wilson, celebrates even the smallest achievements of Shah Rukh.
26. Shah Rukh, in the year 1998, had won an award for the best actor, but leaving everyone surprise, the superstar handed over his award to Salman Khan and asked him to say the thank you note.
27. While he’s King Khan in India, Shah Rukh has been given the status equivalent of Knighthood in Malaysia.
28. His philanthropic endeavours have also worked towards health care and disaster relief and Shah Rukh has been honoured with UNESCO’s Pyramide con Marni award in 2011 for his support of children’s education and World Economic Forum’s Crystal Award in 2018 for his leadership in championing women’s and children’s rights in India.
29. As of 2015, Shah Rukh is the co-chairman of the motion picture production company Red Chillies Entertainment and its subsidiaries.
30. Because of his love for sports, Shah Rukh is also the co-owner of the Indian Premier League cricket team Kolkata Knight Riders.
31. It was recently revealed that contrary to what people believe, Shah Rukh is, in fact, a party animal. Ranveer Singh had recently shared on Koffee With Karan that Shah Rukh is one of the last ones to leave a party and being his warm self, he will hug and kiss his close friends multiple times before the final bye.
32. Shah Rukh happens to have a supreme collection of books which also include everyone’s favourite – the Harry Potter series.
33. He himself admitted once that he snores at night and loves to make jokes about it.
34. Shah Rukh has lived in Mumbai for over 27 years and his residence, Mannat, is also regarded as a tourist spot by his millions of fans.
35. SRK owns a Harley Davidson Dyna Street Bob – a rugged cruiser bike which cost him over Rs 10 lakh.
36. Shah Rukh also owns Bentley Continental GT which costs around Rs 4 crore and happens to be one of the most revered luxury cars across the world.
37. He also owns a Rolls Royce Couple which must have costed him around Rs 4.1 crore.
38. Shah Rukh’s vanity van, too, is no less. The custom-designed vanity van is reportedly priced at Rs 3.8 crore.
39. The superstar also owns a luxurious beach villa in Dubai located in Palm Jumeirah.
40. Shah Rukh had
41. He has received 14 Filmfare Awards from 30 nominations and special awards besides several other accolades in Indian cinema.
42. He’s made many people smile, laugh and feel a gamut of emotions with his onscreen performances but the actor admitted back in 2010 that he had been depressed post he tore a ligament in his shoulder and had to undergo a surgery for the same.
43. Besides making his acting debut on television, SRK has also worked in shows including Zor Ka Jhatka, Kaun Banega Crorepati” (2007) and “Kya Aap Paanchvi Pass Se Tez Hain?” (2008).
44. “The first play station in India comes to my house,” revealed Shah Rukh and his love for playing FIFA is well known.
45. Of the many cheap thrills he has, Shah Rukh thinks his biggest is when he’s shooting advertisements.
46. Shah Rukh has an obsession with the colour black and hence, during most of his public appearances, the actor can be seen sporting black.
47. Shah Rukh lovingly calls his wife Gauri Gaurima and the two had dated for over six years before tying the knot.
48. The ‘Brand Shah Rukh Khan’ has been associated with several consumer good brands including Pepsi, Hyundai Santro, Smoodles, Mayur Suitings, Cinthol, Bagpiper, Clinic All-Clear, Omega, Sunfeast and Dish TV.
49. On the opening day of his 1994 film, Shah Rukh had also sold tickets at the ticket counter of a popular theatre.
50. Not many people know but Shah Rukh has also been associated with the Temptations series of concert tours as a part of which he has sung, danced and performed skits alongside Arjun Rampal and Priyanka Chopra among others.
51. Not many people know but he has a habit of making sure his sleeping pyjamas are freshly ironed every night. The reason? “One never knows who one may meet in dreams”.
52. Shah Rukh became the third actor in 2007 to have his wax statue installed at London’s Madame Tussauds museum only after Aishwarya Rai and Amitabh Bachchan. Other versions of his statues have also been installed at Madame Tussauds’ museums in LA, Hong Kong, New York and Washington.
53. He might be known as the king of romance, Shah Rukh is self-admittedly “shy and scared of women”.