Azwanddin remanded for four days

KLANG: Jaringan Melayu Ma­lay­sia president Datuk Azwanddin Ham­zah Ariffin Abu Bakar will be spending the weekend in police detention.

He was remanded for four days from yesterday under Section 506 of the Penal Code for criminal intimidation.

 The remand order was issued by magistrate Nik Nur Amalina Mat Zaidan at the Klang magistrate’s court.

Azwanddin is being probed over a speech he made at a rally organised by Gerakan Rakyat Malaysia (Geras) in Klang on Christmas day.

The rally, which was attended by some 1,000 people, was organised to demand justice for fallen fireman Muhammad Adib Mohd Kassim and to demand the sacking of National Unity and Social Well-being Minister P. Waytha Moorthy.

In the speech, Azwanddin had called Waytha Moorthy a pariah and had also threatened the Klang police station.

He had said an attack would be mounted on the Klang police station if action was not initiated over the death of Muhammad Adib.

Azwanddin was arrested by po­­lice around 2.40pm at Kompleks Keramat Mall, Jalan Datuk Keramat, Kuala Lumpur, on Wednesday.

Azwanddin arrived handcuffed at the Klang court complex slightly after 9am and the remand order was granted about an hour later.

Meanwhile, Azwanddin’s lawyer Datuk Imran Tamrin told the court, when applying the remand order, that they needed to hold his client for a detailed investigation into the matter.

“We have made our objection that it was not necessary for such a long period and we hope the police will successfully complete the documentation process and statements soon,” he said.

He said police could also release Azwanddin anytime before the four days were up.

According to Imran, he was certain the police would be able to complete the investigations as soon as possible.

Muhammad Adib had suffered serious injuries to his torso during the riots at the Seafield Maha Mariamman Temple on Nov 27.

He died of complications from his injuries at the National Heart Institute on Dec 17.

When Azwanddin, who was wearing a blue shirt, arrived at the court complex in a police truck, he tripped and fell as another detainee who was cuffed to him walked faster than him after leaving the truck.

Azwanddin then smiled and waved to about 20 supporters at the courtroom.


Source from: The Star

Facebook Comments

Like Us